Kind Consultancy is working with a major global bank which is currently seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to join their Fintech division in a full-time, permanent position paying £120,000 based in their London office (requiring 2 in-office days per week) focussing on Data Privacy issues. Reporting to the function’s General Counsel, the Senior Legal Counsel will help lead on data protection and privacy for new FX and Payments products and services globally, and support on commercial matters, with key responsibilities including:
- Providing advice and guidance on all aspects of data protection and privacy risk including the records required to demonstrate compliance, risk identification, assessment, mitigation, response and reporting.
- Acing as the DPO for the Fintech function where required, including fulling the statutory requirements of the DPO under GDPR in UK and EU.
- Leading support to the Fintech division on data privacy processes including subject access requests (‘SARs’), data transfers, data protection, privacy compliance and data protection impact assessments (‘DPIA’), and helping to monitor their performance.
- Leading support to the new division and the General Counsel in the assessment of privacy compliance of third parties and the negotiation and implementation of appropriate contractual and other protections to manage data protection and privacy risk in respect of third parties
- Leading the design, development and renewal of data protection and privacy risk policy and minimum control standards with regular engagement with the business and wider Risk and Legal functions, to ensure the control environment pertaining to data protection and privacy risk is suitably robust and fit for purpose within risk appetite.
- Driving and monitoring compliance with the data protection and privacy requirements and with internal business policies and controls relating to the protection of personal data, including in respect of the assignment of responsibilities, awareness-raising and staff training, and related audits.
- Building, owning and maintaining strong relationships internally within the business, in particular with commercial, marketing, technology and regulatory personnel, and externally with third parties, including external legal advisors, regulators and industry forums where appropriate.
- Helping to manage the negotiation of third-party tech, marketing and other third-party vendor and partner contracts, leveraging support from the wider Legal function as appropriate
- Supporting the General Counsel with matters pertaining to wider legal risk where appropriate.
For the Senior Legal Counsel – Data Privacy Lead role, we’re looking for candidtates who:
- Have 3+ years of post-qualification experience
- Have previous experience of work within Fintech (highly desirable)
- Have legal knowledge in the areas of data privacy and protection as they impact global retail banking including multi-currency operations, payment and cross border transactions, as well as digital banking models and digital wallets.
- Are able to proactively identify and address data protection and privacy risks, requirements and issues associated with the business drawing on experience from other data protection and privacy specialists within the Legal Function and other Functions
- Are ambitious, and enthusiastic about playing a key role in shaping an exciting new offering from an established global brand
- Posess excellent knowledge of the data protection and privacy laws and regulations relevant to the business.
- Are able to develop and present balanced recommendations to facilitate decision-making to support the business
- Have excellent legal research skills, a “can-do” attitude and a hands-on approach. This will be very client facing and you will be expected to own and drive delivery of legal advice and DPO support and be an active partner in helping the business achieve good business outcomes.
- Are organised and happy to adopt legal technology to support your work where appropriate.
If you’re interested in the Senior Legal Counsel – Data Privacy Lead role and you have the skills, knowledge and experience we’re looking for, please apply with an updated CV today.