Kind Consultancy is working with a well-established insurance business which is currently seeking a Privacy Manager to join them on a permanent basis in a role paying circa £60,000. The organisation is based in Birmingham, and while this is primarily a remote role there will be a requirement to visit the office once per month.
The Privacy Manager will provide assurance and guidance on Data Privacy and Data Protection, ensuring the organisation complies with all laws, regulations, standards, policies and procedures. Key responsibilities will include:
- Providing support to the business in relation to data privacy, along with ensuring staff understand how their role supports the data protection framework and culture.
- Challenging and / or supporting the business’s strategic development; e.g. business plan, with a data privacy lens.
- Reviewing, researching, developing, rolling-out, and delivering the Data Protection plan and strategy.
- Building the data governance culture within the organisation, working collaboratively with various stakeholders, including the Executive Committee.
- Helping to build and mature the data protection framework, with an eye to appropriate and proportionate governance oversight.
- Undertaking the role of Data Protection Officer, ensuring organisational compliance with the GDPR, UK Data Protection Act and other data protection laws.
- Maintaining and improving the current suite of data protection policies and processes, whilst also maintaining an up-to-date data protection knowledge base.
- Developing, implementing and enforcing a suitable and relevant Data Sharing Code of Practice, and ensure that third parties which the business deals with either comply or explain (with) the necessary practices and agreements held.
- Taking a lead role in guiding the business on the practice(s) of processing personal data, whilst also leading the way in best practice for responding to all requests for information.
- Maintaining and establishing a register of data owners, for various sets of information, and educating the data owners on their responsibilities (what is data, how is it used, who has access to it, etc.). Maintaining data flow maps as necessary, and educating the business on how these should be developed, used and maintained.
- Conducting systematic data protection audits, in accordance with regulation and best practice, including any third parties as necessary.
- Assisting with investigations into complaints about breaches of the act, and undertaking reporting/remedial action as required. Maintaining a log of any incidents and remedial recommendations and actions.
- Promoting Data Protection awareness throughout the organisation by designing training sessions and programmes that are widely disseminated and made available to all staff. These should be designed and delivered in a manner that improves the data governance culture, and therefore need to be understood and enjoyed by a wide range of staff.
- Ensuring that developments in Data Protection requirements and legislation are tracked and that the organisation is in a position to comply with future requirements.
Our ideal candidate for the Privacy Manager opportunity:
- Has 3+ years of experience delivering and managing Data Privacy
- Has expert-level knowledge of Data Protection (including GDPR and PECR)
- Has previous experience of auditing Data Protection processes and policies and of developing Data Privacy frameworks
- Has experience of analysing legislative requirements and translating these into organisational processes and solutions, and of Risk Management and risk reduction techniques to facilitate continuous improvement
- Data Privacy experience within Insurance or Healthcare would be highly beneficial, as would experience of creating and delivering training
- Holds a degree, diploma or equivalent in a subject relevant to Data Privacy and Data Protection
- Has highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to influence stakeholders at all levels and to explain complex legislative issues in non-technical language
If you’re interested in the Privacy Manager opportunity and you have the skills and experience required, please apply with an updated CV today.